Monday 27 October 2014

Updating to iOS 8.1: Are Apple Pay, OS X ‘Continuity’ Worth the Trouble?

The recent releases of Apple’s latest computer and mobile operating systems – OS X Yosemite and iOS 8.1, respectively — have brought to full fruition the features announced at Apple’s September 9th Keynote address. Several features have been hailed as revolutionary, while others have been met with either trepidation or full-on skepticism. I’ve had a chance to work with some of these features myself and while there are still a few bugs, I can’t say that I’m disappointed.

Phone Call Forwarding
The most seamlessly integrated feature of Apple’s new “Continuity” suite has been phone call forwarding. From the moment I installed Yosemite, calls to my iPhone 6 have been instantly forwarded to my Macbook Pro’s Facetime app. It required no setup on my part and has worked perfectly. This feature has received considerably less hype than other “Continuity” features, but is one of the most practical. Taking a call during your workday no longer requires a break in your workflow; instead it’s now as simple as opening a chat box.

Apple Pay
Perhaps the most debated new feature of iOS 8.1, Apple pay is not without its merits. I must admit I was eager to test the advertised ease and convenience of Apple Pay for myself, and I discovered that some of the criticism is certainly warranted. Setup required only a few steps, shown below.



After opening Passbook and selecting the option to “Add Another Card,” I was prompted to enter my card’s details. This step is simplified greatly by the ability to have your card’s information read by your iPhone’s camera, a feature accessed by clicking the blue camera icon. I found the card reader to be lightning-fast and quite accurate.

After adding payment options to my Passbook app, I set out to make my first purchase using Apple Pay. My first visit was to a local Subway, as Subway is featured on Apple’s list of business approved for Apple Pay. Unfortunately, I ran into a problem which may prove a very real roadblock to the widespread adoption and use of Apple Pay: This particular Subway franchise did not possess the proper hardware to enable NFC payments.

With some reluctance I ended up at a local McDonald’s, where I was able to perform my first purchase with Apple pay. It was simple and seamless. Once I had given my order and my total was calculated, I held my phone near the NFC-enabled payment terminal and was prompted to use Touch ID to complete the payment. Here is how it looked:



While the process was relatively painless and seemed very secure, I couldn’t help but wonder if using Apple Pay is altogether necessary. After all, the process of unlocking my iPhone, finding and opening the Passbook app, and then selecting my desired card was no easier than pulling the same card from my wallet and swiping it manually. While I can certainly foresee Apple Pay becoming a staple for mobile purchases, I would be surprised to see it exceed the meager popularity achieved by Google Wallet for brick-and-mortar transactions.

(As a sidenote, I was able to use Apple Pay at a local grocery store that was not expressly set up to accept Apple payments. It was a welcome surprise.)

SMS Forwarding
I’ve long enjoyed the ability to receive text messages on my computer using iMessage/Messages, so I was very excited by Apple’s announcement that it would be integrating SMS forwarding from non-Apple devices. Now that I’ve had a chance to use it, I cannot imagine living without it. It did require some setup, which you can see below.



Once you’ve enabled the device for SMS forwarding, you’ll need to confirm using the provided PIN (similar to pairing using Bluetooth.) Since these messages are sent using your phone’s network, you will notice that messages and photos take a few seconds to send. Overall, though, this feature is a revelation.

Instant Hotspot
I was excited to try the new “Instant Hotspot,” as I have made frequent use of my phone’s mobile hotspot in the past. I found the process to be nearly the same as it has always been, which left me wondering if I had missed something. In essence, you need simply to enable your device as a wireless hotspot (this must be covered by your phone carrier’s data plan) and then make sure you have enabled Bluetooth on your iPhone. Once you’ve done so, you can select your phone as a “personal hotspot” from your computer’s list of available Wi-Fi networks. See the process below.





As I mentioned, the process of enabling and connecting to my personal hotspot has not changed noticeably from before iOS 8.1 and Yosemite were released. I will say it is convenient to be able to view some of my phone’s “vitals” from the Wi-Fi dropdown, as it could help avoid a drained battery or explain a poor connection.

While not all of these new features have proven to be revolutionary, the gap between iOS and OS X has closed significantly, creating an experience that is more seamless and effortless than ever. Tickle me pleasantly surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment